PSS Document Question

2003-05-01 13:55:37

I have had a private mail that requested the following:

In section 3, you say:

    digestAlgorithms SHOULD contain the one-way hash function used to
    compute the message digest on the eContent value.

I would rather this be a MUST!

My reply was that this would impose a new behavior on the CMS document
where this behavior is a SHOULD not a MUST.  The reply to this was to
ask me to take it to the list as a question of wheither the CMS document
is too lienant on this issue.

HERE IS MY TAKE!

1.  Presence of a digest algorithm is not techincally needed to
successfully validate a signature.  The one that is needed is in the
SignerInfo structure.

2.  My implementations of CMS WILL FAIL if the digest algorithm is not
present in this field.  I have a stream based implementation of
signature processing that requires the digest algorithm to be known
prior to starting to process the content.  (I have a fall back of adding
SHA-1 if the field is empty.)  This is permitted behavior under CMS.

3.  I do not know of anybody who delibrately omits putting this into the
message.

I would be happy with changing this from a SHOULD to a MUST, but if this
is done it needs to propigate all of the way back to CMS.

Jim