Re: Receipt Request Processing Questions

2003-06-23 12:45:41

Jim,

Thoughts in line.

Jim Schaad wrote:

>The following do not appear to be well address in the present ESS
>document.
>
>1.  For the message S1(S2(M)) - If S2 validates and contains a receipt
>request but S1 fails to validate.  Should the receipt be generated?

Yes I think it should.  The layer with the signed content identifier and
the receipt request is verifiable so one should be returned.

>2.  For the message S1(S2(M)) - If S2 validates and contains a receipt
>request, S1 contains an MLExpansionHistory attribute, but cannot be
>validate due to either a) missing certificate or b) unknown signing
>algorithm.  Should a) the receipt be generated and b) the
>MLExpansionHistory attribute be obeyed?

For a - yes
For b - no

>3.  The following is a "new" case  S1(E1(?)) - S1 contains a receipt
>request, E1 cannot be decrypted due to the lack of a lock box for the
>receipient.  Should a receipt be generated?

Yes I think it should.  It's only telling the originator that the
message was received not that they could open it.  If the recipient
can't open it they should send a message indicating as much.