RE: Discussing RTCS

2003-07-15 06:09:09

Blake:

I see potential value in a "CMS style" request/response format for a
certificate validation service.

Specifically one might imagine that a (signed) CMS data structure returned
by a validating server could be integrated directing within the CMS message
types.  This would require compatibility between the server response and
CMS.

I realise that Peter's proposal makes a big deal about its ability to use
simplified database lookups, yes/no responses, etc. and that this aspect has
prompted strong PKIX reactions.

However, the ability to use directly compatible CMS structures is the
attraction for me.  How the server is implemented is arguably an
implementation (or maybe PKIX) issue.

So, yes I would like to see some discussion on this topic here; and if
Peter's proposal is a way to do that fine - although I agree that if we
discuss it, we should do it co-operatively with PKIX.  That is, we should
address CMS compatibility issues (and how this service might be used by CMS)
and leave the server side to them.

Tony

Ramsdell
| Sent: June 27, 2003 5:12 PM
| To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
| Subject: Discussing RTCS
|

| Peter Gutmann has made an individual draft submission for his
| CMS-based RTCS protocol.  A URL to this draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gutmann-cms-rtcs-00.txt

He would like to get some review of the CMS parts of this, and it seems
reasonable to discuss it here on the IETF-SMIME list if there is interest.

Since this draft is CMS based and potentially adds value to CMS or S/MIME in
general, should we consider bringing it into this working group?

Comments?

Blake Ramsdell | Brute Squad Labs | http://www.brutesquadlabs.com