RE: Signed Receipts and Mail Lists

2003-07-23 12:41:52

Graeme:

When we designed the MLA mechanism, we assumed that each mail list would have a separate key pair and certificate. I do not think that this is an unreasonable assumption. Today, Web servers that support more than one site have a certificate for each of the sites.

Russ

Jim,

> If we adopted the solution you gave, what limits me from making
> arbitrary statements about who I am in this field that then need to be

> independently verified by the receipt processing code?  (I.e. what if
> I put the fact that I am turners(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com in this field and sign
with
> my jimsch(_at_)exmsft(_dot_)com certificate).

First off, having looked in more detail at 2634 it implicitly requires
each mail list to have its own certificate. In particular, the
EntityIdentifier, used in MLExpansionHistory, refers only to a
certificate. So having a single certificate for an MLA supporting
multiple lists would cause the loop detection algorithm to fail.

So what I was looking at (a single certificate for a mail list agent
supporting multiple lists) is a more fundamental change than I first
thought.

But back to your question.

The basic answer is that nothing would limit you. Do you see this as a
major issue?

x400wrap has a similar case where the content being signed contains an
"originator" field.

"Receiving agents SHOULD check that the originator address in the X.400
content matches an X.400 address in the signer's certificate, if X.400
addresses are present in the certificate and an originator address is
available in the content. A receiving agent SHOULD provide some explicit
alternate processing of the message if this comparison fails, which may
be to display a message that shows the recipient the addresses in the
certificate or other certificate details."

I think that similar wording to section 4.3 of this draft may be
acceptable?

This wording allows us to take our own action to correlate the x400
originator to the signer in the case that they don't match (we use
attribute certificates to do the signer to originator validation).

So for your example, I may see something like:

"signed receipt from jimsch(_at_)exmsft(_dot_)com on behalf of
turners(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com at
<time>"

The receiptFrom field I proposed is primarily aimed at supporting the
correlation of the signed receipt to the original recipient by providing
original address the signed receipt was requested from.

There are a number of reasons why I may not be able to match the
address[es] (subjectAltName) from the certificate to one of the
addresses I to:

a) Valid aliases not in the subjectAltNames of the certificate

b) Signed receipt from a recipient who received the message as a result
of ML expansion.

c) Mail redirections - e.g. sent to "ceo(_at_)corp(_dot_)com" which redirects
to a
personal mailbox.
Similar to a).

Graeme