RE: RFC2632bis and subjectAltName

2003-08-01 06:58:34

Tony:

Nice suggestion.  I think we should do it.

Russ

Blake:

The absence of an rfc2822 e-mail address in the certificate should not be
considered a "failure" since its absence must have been permitted by the
certificate issuer - and we assume (!) that certificates are issued
according to issuer policy.

The current text (which you quoted) could be incomplete.  My interpretation*
of the middle sentence of this paragraph is that the check is only mandatory
if the address is present (so a comparison to an absent/"blank" field is not
mandatory).  The following sentence then suggests what action to take if the
check/comparison fails.  Since if the comparison is not done, it will not
fail, one could interpret that no indication is required if the address is
absent from the cert.

The paragraph following the quoted one addresses the display of the signer's
identity:

A receiving agent SHOULD display a subject name or other certificate
details when displaying an indication of successful or unsuccessful
signature verification.

Should this be stronger in cases where the certificate has an absent rfc2822
field (and no check against the From: header field was done)?

Maybe adding the sentence between these two paragraphs:

"Receiving agents which do not perform the foregoing check due to the
absence of an address in the certificate MUST display the subject name
from the certificate when displaying an indication of successful or
unsuccessful signature verification."

-leaving the following paragraph as a SHOULD, strongly encouraging
additional information to be displayed in this and all other cases.

Tony

* I interpret the phrase: "if mail addresses are present in the
Certificate" to be a qualifier for the "MUST" in this sentence.

Ramsdell
| Sent: July 31, 2003 12:53 AM
| To: 'Russ Housley'; jimsch(_at_)exmsft(_dot_)com;
ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org