RE: Request change in son-of-rfc2633

From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Peter
Gutmann
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 6:21 AM
To: jimsch(_at_)exmsft(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Request change in son-of-rfc2633

"Jim Schaad" <jimsch(_at_)nwlink(_dot_)com> writes:

Messages that use this choice cannot be read by S/MIME v2
clients, but are
not to cause crashes in S/MIME v3.1 clients."

I'm having some trouble parsing this... does this mean the
RFC is specifying
that S/MIME clients aren't allowed to crash?   How is this enforced?

The language that has been added is as follows:

S/MIME v3.1 implementations MUST allow for the use of the choice of
subjectKeyIdentifier in messages. Messages that use this choice cannot
be read by S/MIME v2 clients, and MUST be handled gracefully in S/MIME
v3.1 clients.

So I imagine that we're now chartered with enforcing them to be graceful
vs. enforcing them to not crash ;).