Standards for Web-signing II

2003-10-28 06:49:54

The answer to my earlier request seems to be:

There are apparently no standards and nothing in the works either
with respect to signing on-line data on the web using Internet browsers.

Since web-signing is today [*] used by many, many, more people
and organizations than there are users of signed e-email, I remain puzzled.

Is the PKI community really just a bunch of "nerds", mostly
out of touch with the needs of the market?  The question is open.

*] Like Scandinavian banks having > 0.5M of users.
All current systems rely on entirely proprietary mechanisms.
Most of the vendors even require NDAs for getting the documentation.

Anders Rundgren

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anders Rundgren" <anders(_dot_)rundgren(_at_)telia(_dot_)com>
To: <pki-tc(_at_)lists(_dot_)oasis-open(_dot_)org>;
<ietf-pkix(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>; <ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 14:07
Subject: [pki-tc] Standards for Web-signing

Folks,
I just wanted to know the status of possible standardization
efforts regarding signing on-line forms etc. on web.  As web-signing
is a core function of many e-governments when communicating
with their citizens it seems that this should be standardized if
not already is.

Pointers are welcome.  Off-list or on-list.

rgds
Anders Rundgren

OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/pki-tc/members/leave_workgroup.php.