RE: Interop Requirement for Signed Data formats

2004-03-27 16:59:14

At 12:17 PM -0500 3/26/04, Bonatti, Chris wrote:
Agree.  It should read:

There are two formats for signed messages defined for S/MIME:
application/pkcs7-mime with SignedData, and multipart/signed.
Sending agents MUST support the multipart/signed form, and SHOULD
support the application/pkcs7-mime form. Receiving agents SHOULD
be able to handle both.

Disagree with Chris, agree with Jim. The paragraph in the current document should read:

There are two formats for signed messages defined for S/MIME:
application/pkcs7-mime with SignedData, and multipart/signed. In
general, the multipart/signed form is preferred for sending, and
receiving agents MUST be able to handle both.

We have been over this a million times, and it is clear we can't come to agreement. It's history vs. correct interaction with the rest of email, and both have strong arguments in their favor.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium