Re: I-D ACTION:draft-santesson-smime-scext-00.txt

2004-08-12 01:38:29

I have no comments on the "design" in this draft.

However, I seriously question the idea to put client software
capabilities in certificates.

Why?
- because issuers may not have this information
- because users may have multiple clients
- because static solutions are limiting

If we begin to use dynamic methods like XKMS + DNS to find
public keys of recipients, SCEXT represents a step in another direction.

Due to the limited utility of true end-to-end encryption in corporate
environments (the DOMSEC RFC shows a few good reasons to that),
as well as the de-facto use of the web as a distribution medium for
e-government purposes (which is a much easier solution than S/MIME),
I believe that Microsoft should focus on making a gateway e-mail
standard a reality rather than patching a system that never will play
a major role and actually mostly creates problems for end-users and
system administrators.

Anders