RE: I-D ACTION:draft-santesson-smime-scext-00.txt

2004-09-03 13:16:26

Stefan:

I fully understand your reluctance (which I share) for proliferation of scope.
Please bear with me.

Your proposal requires an extension to the X.509 certificate syntax, and it
seems you have preliminary agreement from PKIX that S/MIME WG can do that.  This
is very good (and I am humbled by your ability to do that!), but we should make
sure we exploit this opportunity well, so we do not have to return to the well
too often ;-).  To do that we need to consider what is quick and simple to do
today and also where we might go.  So I think this discussion now is valuable.

I cannot agree that this is complex, although I agree it CAN be made complex as
you demonstrate.

The model here is the CRLDistribution point (with all its warts).  Those guys
did not worry about whether the CRL would be available by LDAP, HTTP, SMTP, or
whatever when they defined it.  They only worried about what the CRL format was
to be.  In our case I propose we already have a format:  a null signed message.
Maybe Denis will suggest an attribute certificate - but that can be carried in a
null signed message too.  I suspect that if I posted a null signed message on a
website (and configured the HTTP content type correctly) it might even work
today (??).  And frankly, if an organization is already distributing CRL's by
whatever method, allowing the same infrastructure to be used to provide
sMIMECapabilities in a null signed message is not much more work (and it will
also provide the full cert path, attribute certs, etc. if needed!).  The server
just responds with a static null signed item.  Processing on receipt is the same
as the processing already implemented for incoming signed messages.

I think there is a danger if we only propose to PKIX (and X.509) folks that the
only way we can solve the sMIMECapabilities "problem" is just to stick all the
sMIMECapabilities into the cert.  I think we will get a negative reaction.  If
it is one option where there are other options which are a bit more efficient,
we have a better chance.  I have also mentioned that we should make the
extension more application-agnostic, I think this will also make it more
palatable, but that's another thread....

Tony

| > |