Re: draft-housley-binarytime-00.txt

2004-09-04 09:20:00

Thanks for this new information. However, i am aware of smartcard environments without mktime().

Russ

At 12:14 AM 9/3/2004, Peter Gutmann wrote:
Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com> writes:

>1. Embedded systems may not have the rich set of functions that you are
>using here.

As the author of the crypto toolkit that runs on a larger range of embedded
systems than any other [0], I can state that this point is invalid.  I've got
code running on systems without a clock that nevertheless still have
mktime() (OK, so you can't actually check the date against anything once
you've read it, but you can at least read it).  I've never encountered a
system where reading a UTCTime is a problem.

Peter.

[0] Until someone else proves otherwise :-).