RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-rfc2634-update-00.txt

2004-12-10 08:02:34

Denis:

I did look at 3126 and indeed hope that the solution would be as close a subset
(profile) of that as possible.

3126 has many capabilities, but was hoping for a simple way for originators (or
originating domain gateways) to add information bound to the message instance
which would reduce the load on the ultimate receivers - and especially receivers
operating in foreign domains who do not want to understand certificate
restrictions imposed within the originating domain.  Also reducing receiver load
is essential for telecontrol and SCADA where the actuators are simple and
potentially on the end of restrictive communications links.

I would not expect this to replace 3126 for more complex applications or where
formal legal requirements must be met.

An ideal solution could be a subset profile of 3126, potentially adding (as
necessary) optional attributes.  Also simplifications are possible since the
"proof..." signerInfo is always constructed within the originating domain (so
cross-certification, cert chaining, third party servers (including time stamp
servers, arbiters, ...), etc. are not required).

Denis, I wonder if you could suggest a profile of 3126 which could be used?  If
we can do this with a profile alone without anything new this would make
everything easier.  I was hoping all we needed was an appropriate signerInfo
structure definition along with non-normative words describing how it is used.

Tony

Pinkas