RE: SignedAttribute for Mime-Type

2006-01-13 12:30:07

Alicia (sorry for the delay in replying):

I think the contents hints might only need to specify MIME, or
[ASN.1+content encoding rules], ....  The hints would just
identify the next protocol sublayer to process the content
(service access point).

So the hints candidates might be:
1. MIME
2. ASN.1 + BER/DER
3. ASN.1 + PER  (?)
+ future and private use OIDs.

Both MIME and ASN.1 BER have the ability to identify content so I expect that
"future and private use" would only be for applications which are NOT using
these encodings (since they provide their own extension mechanisms).  This would
minimize the impact on CMS (we don't need OIDs matching MIME types for example).

On your second point about the clarity of the current text, I agree some added
words might be useful to cover the case where no content hints are provided (and
no a priori agreement exists).  The use of MIME within "e-mail applications"
might be considered as implying an a priori agreement - so I am not convinced
there is a serious problem.  It is tempting to point out that long and
indefinite BER encodings of ASN.1 will have the msb of the first octet set while
"common" 7-bit MIME will not.  However I am not sure that the BER short form is
never used, or that we can guarantee all 7-bit MIME has the msb clear.  Maybe
others would comment whether such text would help (and not break existing
implementations).

Russ has just reminded us of another issue raised by Bellovin and Rescorla
(multi-level signature) potentially impacting CMS, so perhaps this should be
discussed some more if that is the direction of the WG.

Tony