SV: MIME-Version or not?

2006-06-05 06:48:49

Thank you for your response,

please note that the question is whether the _inner_ MIME-entity should have
MIME-Version included or not.

They argue as follows:

"Here are some arguments why the MIME-version header field should not be
required in an inner entity of a S/MIME message. I have chosen to refer to
the most recent RFC versions since these hopefully address some of the
ambiguities of the preceding versions.

In RFC 2045 (MIME Part One) chapter 3 "MIME Header Fields" the formal
definition of "entity-headers" does not contain the version header. The
version header is only part of "MIME-message-headers". And since RFC 3851
(S/MIME Version 3.1) concerns securing "MIME entities" it seems reasonable
to require the "entity-headers" to be included in the inner MIME entity but
not the "MIME-message-headers". Of course the outer S/MIME message itself
should have a version header. This itself implies (per definition) that the
contents (inner entity) is a MIME entity which thereby is described by the
"entity-headers" Content-Type etc."

I would be very happy to settle, this.

Best regards

Joachim Abrahmsén