RE: Fwd: The state of PKI-related MIME-type standards

2006-10-17 10:23:00

Anders,

1) Is a personal opinion and I kind of agree then again I'm not saying their
specs are better written they just look nicer.  I think the point of the
simple format was a universal acceptance and that we should dazzle them
brilliance and not baffle them with BS. I wouldn't mind if the IETF chose
another format, but then again I'm going to pick to not fight that battle.

2) I agree that is a fact of life.  Further I think it's a fact that
sometimes implementers will make design decisions that are not in the spec
that may or may not lead to interoperability.

On your original point of helping implementers figure out what's standard
and what's not really ought to be rephrased as what's in the standard and
what is the defacto/implemented standard. The idea of the standardization
process was to get working code and then move through the RFC track:
proposed, draft, and then internet.  I see folks getting a proposed standard
RFC and popping the bubbly and never returning.  We need to get working code
in bake-offs and then mode the standards accordingly, assuming the intent is
that they actually move beyond the stages. As usual I think the process is
fine it's the operator error that's causing all the problems.

spt