Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-escertid-01.txt

2006-11-07 08:21:54

Jim,

Demis,
       ^^
  Denis

The statement in parens is not meant to be true, it is meant to state a
condition under which the preceding statement would be sufficent.  Thus it
starts "This assumes..."

The text states:

   The issuer/serial number pair would therefore normally be sufficient to
identify
   the correct signing certificate.  (This assumes the same issuer name
   is not re-used from the set of trust anchors.)

We cannot construct on assumptions, in particular since there is no
standardized way
to know when this assumption would be met.

If you think that the issuer/serial number pair is insufficent to identify a
certificate, have you filed a defect report with X.509?

If you think that  the issuer/serial number pair is sufficient to identify a
certificate,
why have you issued RFC 2634 ?  :-)

The issuer/serial number pair is only sufficient when it is possible to know
the name of the CA
that has issued a certificate to that issuer (and recursively up to a trust
anchor).

I don't see a
significant difference in content between the second sentence you have and
sentences 2 and 3 in my paragraph.

I see it. If you don't care, it would save much time to take my wording
proposal.

I would be more worried about an
attacker re-using the same issuer name rather than the re-use of the same
issuer name in a single tree of certificate authorities.

The use of the same issuer name is not necessarily an attack.

I am unconvinced that in cases where the issuer/serial is not used in the
sid, it needs to be placed in the cert id structure.

Your original text is:

   The issuer/serial
   number pair can be stored in the sid field of the SignerInfo object.
   However the sid field is not covered by the signature.  In the cases
   where the issuer/serial number pair is not used in the sid or the
   issuer/serial number need to be signed, they should be placed in the
   issuerSerial field of the ESSCertIDv2 structure.

This is only a hint
for finding the certificate and is not good identification.  The true
identification is going to be the hash of the certificate.

We both agree.

Thus I don't see
the need for the statement einging "In the cases ..."  Additionally this is
covered in my current last sentence of the text.

I tried to use your text as much as possible. So the two sentences are similar:

Yours:

   In the cases where the issuer/serial number pair is not used in the sid
   or the issuer/serial number need to be signed, they should be placed in the
   issuerSerial field of the ESSCertIDv2 structure.

Mine:

        In the cases where the issuer/serial number pair is not used in the
sid,
        it should be placed in the issuerSerial field of the ESSCertIDv2
structure.

I think that the order you are placing the paragraphs is backwards.  The
most important thing is the reason why the hash value is there rather than
why issuer/serial is not a good method.

It is a matter of presentation, but it is necessary to explain in the case of
an *accidental* name collision
why issuer/serial may be insufficient. The three scenario of attack do NOT
cover the case of name collision
because it is not necessarilly an attack: it may happen by accident. The case
of name collision is not covered
in the security considerations section either.

Another option would be to add text in the security considerations section,
which would then allow
to shorten the explanations in the main body of the document.

I am unhappy with the current text. In order to move forward, would you be able
to make a new text
proposal that would possibly satisfy both of us ?

Denis

Jim