Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cms-mult-sign-02.txt

2006-11-30 10:19:43
Russ,

You are correct: "The current CMS specification says nothing about validating
multiple signatures. "
 ... and it should stay this way.

The CMS specification should not attempt to enter the area of saying " The
message is valid if ...."

Transition can simply be accomplished by placing two signatures.
I do not think that we need an amendment to CMS to say this, since it is
obvious.

Denis

Denis:

The current CMS specification says nothing about validating multiple
signatures.  This means that it is unclear whether a message is valid if the
recipient cannot validate all of them.  The S/MIME WG started by considering
two choices:

(1) The message is valid if any of the signatures is valid; and
(2) The message is valid if all of the signatures are valid.

Discussion on this mail list made it clear that neither of these approaches was
acceptable.  There are some applications that have multiple signers, and the
application needs a valid signature for each one of them.  So, we settled on:

(3) The message is valid if one signature from each signer is valid.

Further discussion made it clear that the application was going to have to be
involved in determining which signatures are associated with the same signer in
some cases.  However, in the most urgent case we are concerned with RSA with
SHA-1 and RSA with SHA-256, the same certificate will be used for both
signatures, so the same signer is obvious.

Russ