RE: WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-smime-cms-mult-sign-02.txt

From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Denis
Pinkas
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 6:41 AM
To: ietf-smime
Subject: Re: WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-smime-cms-mult-sign-02.txt

You will find hereafter, 14 comments on
draft-ietf-smime-escertid-02.txt

1. Editorial. The draft states: « Expires: October 3, 2006?.
 The document is expired !
Done

2. Editorial. The issue date is: April 2006. This date is incorrect.
Done

3. Editorial. Page 3. Section 2. Third paragraph. There are
four typos.

Change :
          Applications SHOULD recognize both attributes as long as
         they consider SHA-1 able to distingusih between two different
         certificates.  (I.e. the possiblity of a collision
is suffiently
         low.)

into:
          Applications SHOULD recognize both attributes as long as
   they consider SHA-1 able to distinguish between two different
   certificates.  (i.e. the possibility of a collision is
sufficiently
   low.)

3 of 4 are done - I'll leave the fourth up to the copy editors to see if
they want to make.

4. Editorial. Page 4. Section 3.

The draft states:

   SigningCertificateV2 is identified by the OID:
      id-aa-signingCertificateV2 OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1)

   The attribute has the ASN.1 definition:

      SigningCertificateV2 ::=  SEQUENCE {
          certs        SEQUENCE OF ESSCertIDv2,
          policies     SEQUENCE OF PolicyInformation OPTIONAL
      }

          member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs9(9)
          smime(16) id-aa(2) 47 }

whereas it should state :

   SigningCertificateV2 is identified by the OID:

      id-aa-signingCertificateV2 OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1)
         member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs9(9)
         smime(16) id-aa(2) 47 }

   The attribute has the ASN.1 definition:

      SigningCertificateV2 ::=  SEQUENCE {
          certs        SEQUENCE OF ESSCertIDv2,
          policies     SEQUENCE OF PolicyInformation OPTIONAL
      }

Done

5. Page 4. The text states:

                               The first certificate
identified in the
      sequence of certificate identifiers MUST be the
certificate used
      to verify the signature.

whereas it should state :

                            The first certificate identified in the
      sequence of certificate identifiers MUST be the certificate
      to be used to verify the signature.

Not done - I don't think this change adds any clarity to the document

6. Editorial. Page 6. The text states:

                                       Hashes are convient in
that they
   are frequently used by certificate stores as a method of
indexing and
   retrieving certificates as well.

whereas it should state :

                                       Hashes are convenient
in that they
   are frequently used by certificate stores as a method of
indexing and
   retrieving certificates as well.

Done

7. Editorial. Page 6. The text states:

                                  The use of the hash is required by
   this structure since the detection of substitued certificates is
   based on the fact they would map to different hash values.

whereas it should state :

                                  The use of the hash is required by
   this structure since the detection of substituted certificates is
   based on the fact they would map to different hash values.

Done

8. Page 6. The text states:

   The issuer/serial number pair is the method of identification of
   certificates used in [PKIXCERT].

whereas it should state :

   The issuer/serial number pair is the information to be used to
   look for certificates used in [PKIXCERT] when they are not
a priori
   known.

Not done - I don't see any additional clarity from this statement.

9. Page 6. The text states:

                                    That document imposes a
restriction
   for certificates that the issuer DN must be present.

This sentence is not understandable and does not exist for
the version 1.
Please delete or explain.

I don't understand what is not clear.  [PKIX] says that you must populate
the issuer DN field.  That is all this says.

10. Page 6. The text states:

The issuer/
   serial number pair would therefore normally be sufficient
to identify
   the correct signing certificate.  (This assumes the same
issuer name
   is not re-used from the set of trust anchors.)  The issuer/serial
   number pair can be stored in the sid field of the
SignerInfo object.
   However the sid field is not covered by the signature.

This text is not necessary and is misleading. It is also
quite strange to see that the text for v2 is very different
from the text for v1.
Nevertheless, since the next sentence is fully sufficient,
then it is proposed to suppress it.

We have had several discussions on this, I am not planning to change this
text.

11. Editorial. Page 6. Change ?they? by ?it?. The text states:

                                                         In the cases
   where the issuer/serial number pair is not used in the sid or the
   issuer/serial number pair needs to be signed, they SHOULD
be placed
   in the issuerSerial field of the ESSCertIDv2 structure.

whereas it should state :

                                                         In the cases
   where the issuer/serial number pair is not used in the sid or the
   issuer/serial number pair needs to be signed, it SHOULD be placed
   in the issuerSerial field of the ESSCertIDv2 structure.

Done

12. Page 7. The text states:

   issuerSerial  holds the identification of the certificate.  The
      issuerSerial would normally be present unless the value can be
      inferred from other information.

It would be worth to add at the end of that sentence:
    (e.g. the sid field of the SignerInfo object).

Done

13. Page 7. The text states:

   serialNumber  holds the serial number that uniquely identifies the
      certificate.

This text is misleading since serial number does not always
allow to uniquely identify a certificate. Replace with:

   serialNumber  holds the serial number of the certificate.

I have added to the end of the sentence "for the issuer CA"

14. Page 8. The text states:

   The first certificate identified in the sequence of certificate
   identifiers MUST be the certificate used to verify the signature.

Replace with:

   The first certificate identified in the sequence of certificate
   identifiers MUST be the certificate to be used to verify
the signature.

Not Done - I don't think this adds additional clarity to the sentence.

Denis

---------