Re: AlgorithmIdentifier, SHA-1, etc.

2007-04-06 13:32:57

Eric Rescorla wrote:
Technically these don't conflict, but obviously, it's undesirable to
have the encoding in the message not match that in the DigestInfo,
since doing binary comparisons is common practice here. So, what's the
right answer here?

In my case when I receive a digest AlgorithmIdentifier, I bust it open and get the OID out and discard the wrapper (the outer AlgorithmIdentifier). So I'm not affected by a mismatch if I do that.

But yeah, short of normalizing the values in some way, you're pretty much done. That is, there's no binary comparison, and you perform an equivalence check by converting both values in such a way that the same answer comes out. So if you have { sha-1, NULL } and { sha-1 } you get the same answer.

Blake Ramsdell | Sendmail, Inc. | http://www.sendmail.com