Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-cms-auth-enveloped-03.txt

2007-04-10 06:44:16

Peter:

Your argument about SEQUENCE vs SET sounds wrong to me: If you have an implicit tagging that replaces sequence or set, then coding or decoding becomes essentially the same except that you won't need to sort the attributes before coding, but it wouldn't hurt if you do. On the other hand, if you really verify the order when decoding, then sequence hurts, but there are several implementations which ignore the encoded order as far as I know and others which fail to
sort etc.

Such implementations would not be considered compliant with RFC 3852 or any of its predecessors, including PKCS#7 v1.5. I do not think we should penalize implementors that followed the specification.

I'm pleased to listen to implementors on this point. So far, two have spoken. One suggesting the move to SEQUENCE and one preferring to use their existing attribute handling routines. Both said, that it was not a really big deal either way. Given that input, I went with consistency with AuthenticatedData.

Russ