Re: draft-ietf-smime-escertid-04.txt

2007-04-20 11:30:42

Denis,

The unaddressed Last Call comments noted by Russ were actually IETF Last Call comments from the Gen-ART document review team.

As I understand it, your comments were submitted during working group deliberations, but working group consensus was *not* demonstrated. In addition, this document was explicitly scoped to address algorithm agility for the esscertid structure. The changes you propose are focused on an unrelated issue - name uniqueness. I understand that name uniqueness is a hot button issue for you, but it is out of scope for this particular document.

Organizations (including ETSI) are starting to specify this structure in other documents. We have an urgent need to complete this document so they have a stable reference, and I do not want to hold up the train for unrelated issues. I have asked Jim Schaad to address the gen-ART comments before I forward this document to the IESG, but I will not impose the same conditions for your comments.

Thanks for your understanding.

Tim Polk