Re: Error in draft-ietf-smime-escertid-06.txt

2007-05-15 02:04:15

Blake Ramsdell wrote:

Denis Pinkas wrote:
whereas it should be:

    ESSCertIDv2 ::=  SEQUENCE {
            hashAlgorithm           AlgorithmIdentifier
                   DEFAULT {algorithm id-sha256 },
            certHash                 Hash,
            issuerSerial             IssuerSerial OPTIONAL
        }

Out of curiosity, what purpose does a DEFAULT value have for a non-OPTIONAL element?

OK, never mind -- I think I figured that out (DEFAULT implies OPTIONAL).

I was also concerned that the absence of hashAlgorithm would be hard to figure out, but Hash is an OCTET STRING not a SEQUENCE.

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Blake Ramsdell | Sendmail, Inc. | http://www.sendmail.com