Algorithm Class Data

2007-07-30 09:31:32

At the face-to-face meeting I presented the fact that Paul Hoffman and I are
currently working on a 2002 freeware ASN.1 compiler.  As part of this work
we are requested to do re-writes of the core IETF ASN.1 modules to update
them.  This message is looking at one portion of the update that we are
contemplating.

The current ITU definition of ALGORITHM contains just an OID and an open
type.  From my point of view this seems to be missing a lot of data that
should be associated together.  So the first question would be what
information exists that COULD be associated together.  This meta data is
generally collected somewhere, but is not associated in the current ASN.1
file.

The following information what I think could be associated.  I would like to
start by seeing if this is a complete set of data that could be associated.

Signature
    OID, Parameters, Signature Value, Public Key, Private Key

Transport Encryption
    OID, Parameters, EncryptedKey (contents of OCTET STRING ?), Public Key,
Private Key

Key Agree Encryption
   OID, Parameter, EncryptedKey (contents of OCTET STRING ?), Public Key,
Private Key, OtherKeyAttributes Set

Symmetric Key Encryption
   OID, Parameters, S/MIME Parameters

KEK Encryption