RE: Comments on S/MIME v3.2

2007-12-05 21:42:02

I can't vouch for the rest of the world, but our toolkit supports 3K keys, as
does the HSM that we use.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Peter Gutmann
[mailto:pgut001(_at_)cs(_dot_)auckland(_dot_)ac(_dot_)nz]
        Sent: Wed 12/5/2007 7:11 PM
        To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org; Luther Martin;
turners(_at_)ieca(_dot_)com
        Subject: RE: Comments on S/MIME v3.2

        "Luther Martin" <martin(_at_)voltage(_dot_)com> writes:

        >With respect to the RSA key sizes, I see lots of demand for 3072-bit
keys,
        >but not much for 2048-bit, so I'd be very inclined to make the range
        >3072. To be compatible with AES, you need at least 3072, after all.

        How widely supported are values > 2K bits in hardware and crypto
toolkits?
        The last time I looked (which admittedly was a few years ago), you ran
into
        problems if you assumed that everyone could handle > 2K bit keys.

        Peter.