RE: Review of RFC 3278 Update

2008-03-25 08:15:32

Jim,

1. I think we should mandate SHA-256 and the others should be optional.

2. We should match the curves/hashes as follows:

 SHA-256 matches P-256
 SHA-384 matches P-384
 SHA-512 matches P-521

3. No reason I missed it.

spt

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Schaad [mailto:jimsch(_at_)nwlink(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:58 AM
To: Sean P. Turner
Cc: Ietf-Smime
Subject: Review of RFC 3278 Update

Sean,  a couple of comments.

1.  I think you need to look at updating section 5.  Which of
the hash algorithms are considered to be mandatory to
implement for ECDSA?

2.  I don't know if there is any degree of tie-in between the
set of ECC curves and the hash algorithms being specified.  I
know there are some correspondences for DSA.  I believe that
this should be stated either way, potentially as a security
consideration.

3.  Is there a reason that you have not updated section 7?

jim