Re: Content Type for XML Objects

2008-04-04 08:17:31

Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com> writes:

I have received a request to assign an Object Identifier (OID) to be used as
a content type for XML objects.  The idea is that one would look inside the
XML object to determine  the type of XML object that is being carried inside
CMS.

Is this the right thing to do?

One part of me wants to say "What makes XML so special that it should get its
own content-type?".  However if this is an attempt to clean up the XMLdsig
mess then I'm all for it.

Would it be better to have a different content type for each XML object?

Would it be better to use id-data?

Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris.  Have one overall XML content-type and then
let the XML layer sort out what's actually in there.

Peter.