Re: Web-based ASN.1 decoding tool available

2008-06-05 10:34:32
Hi all!

I would like to mention ASN.1 Editor (for Windows) which is not a web-based tool and although it can't provide default values from DER,
it lets you:
    - inspect ASN.1 structures and encapsulate parts of the structures in a more user-friendly way than simple dump tools;
    - edit ASN.1 structures;
    - save sub-parts/structures to a new file;
    - etc.

It also includes a simple but nice data converter between PEM, HEX and BASE64 formats.

Best regards,
Ricardo Barroso

Aram Perez wrote:
Hi Peter,

Have you any free tools which are not the simple dump of asn1 DER/BER but which also can read a data according the 1988, 93 ASN.1 Syntax?
Like default values from DER...

I'm afraid I do not and I'm not aware of any such tool. To get the default values, you would need the actual ASN.1 (which provides the default values) and the BER/DER data.

BERViewer, Peter Hesse's web tool, Peter Gutmann's dumpasn1 and others similar tools just decode the BER/DER and present it in a "more" human readable form.

Regards,
Aram

Peter