RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-04.txt

2008-08-09 07:50:15

At 5:51 PM -0400 8/8/08, Tony Capel wrote:
1) I would prefer the security consideration apply to encryption as well as
signature checking. Although less likely, it could be a sending agent who uses an intended receiver's unvalidated encryption certificate to get the "big" key.

Someone who is encrypting blindly has many problems that just key size. We could add a warning about this as well, but it is should be a separate warning.

I would not want the text to imply that this is ONLY a receiver signature issue.

It is far easier to get someone to try to validate a signature than it is to get them to encrypt a message.

2) The swamping is specifically related to the crypto element not necessarily
the CPU (i.e. it may be the h/w token that is swamped).

Good point. I would be happy with "CPU or other resources".