Re: New modules drafts -- proposed ASN.1 downgrade tutorial

2009-01-27 16:44:35

In thinking about this a bit more:

- I agree with Alfred that it should be a separate document that covers all
ASN.1 modules in (at least) the Security Area of the IETF.

- It is not needed if the eventual PKIX and S/MIME documents are Informational
RFCs instead of Standards Track.

- Future document authors can pick whether they want to do their modules in
2002 or 1988 and the WGs can decide if they like the decision that the authors
made.

Given that, I propose that someone other than Jim and I start such a "downgrade
tutorial". I volunteer to review it, and I'm sure that some of the modules from
Jim and my documents would be good fodder for examples in the new document.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium