Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-11.txt

2009-05-14 15:33:51

Internet-Drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org wrote:
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME)
Version 3.2 Message Specification
        Author(s)       : B. Ramsdell, S. Turner
        Filename        : draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-11.txt
        Pages           : 46
        Date            : 2009-5-14

This document defines Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) version 3.2. S/MIME provides a consistent way to send and receive secure MIME data. Digital signatures provide authentication, message integrity, and non-repudiation with proof of origin. Encryption provides data confidentiality. Compression can be used to reduce data size. This document obsoletes RFC 3851.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-3851bis-11.txt

This version includes revisions to adopt DSA key sizes comparable to RSA, updates the security considerations accordingly, and aligns the DH key sizes with RSA key sizes. Tim Polk says an approved FIPS 186-3 is going to be published any day now and this will save us some time (we were pinned on it being published anyway).

spt