Re: [smime] New ID of potential interest

2010-08-03 14:42:34

Again with the four-month delay in replying. We apologize again, but do want to
follow up on your suggestions below.

On Apr 10, 2010, at 9:07 PM, Jim Schaad wrote:

A couple of questions and comments on this document

1.  Is there a reason not to make the sequence require at least two elements
for a union and an intersection?

No, there is no reason. And the ASN.1 module can be easily changed to enforce
the presence of at least two elements in the sequence. But what are the pros
and cons of doing so? Will anything be gained by requiring that unions and
intersections have at least two elements?

2.  For 'union' and 'intersection' I would prefer "This sequence MUST be
non-empty." To be rendered as "The sequence of SetKeyParticipentSet values
MUST be non-empty."  The first time I read this I mixed up the ASN.1
sequence with the contents of the result of the union.

Good point. Thanks.

3.  Given that we are discussion SETs.  Are there any reasons not to impose
some restrictions on those who create SetKetParticipentSet values so that
they are not every empty?  Thus an intersection SHOULD NOT result in an
empty result

I fear that might turn out to be an onerous run-time requirement. These sets
might be represented by community-identifiers, remember. If we wish to enforce
that intersections be non-empty (for example) then we are requiring that
someone go chase down the membership-lists of all communities. That may be an
undesirable run-time requirement for some settings.

Also, that requirement may not be well-defined, if these communities change. A
set may be non-empty when generated, but become empty later as come component
communities change their membership.

But let me ask: what is gained by requiring that generated SETs be non-empty?

4.  Are there any locations (such as SetMember) where you one should
explicitly state that this field may be expanded at a later date with
additional values that may need to be recognized as being present, even if
they are not evaluated.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you rephrase?

5.  When doing an intersection, does none need to understand the value of
SetMember, or can the evaluation be done on the ASN.1 encoding of the
SetMember.   Specifically would one need to understand that a certificate
containing a specific public key be identified EITHER by the pub key info or
by the issuer/serial?

That's a very good question. I hadn't thought about it. Do you have any
suggestions?

Thanks.