[smime] Review on S/MIME OIDs

2013-10-22 17:52:06
Russ,

Here are some review comments as part of doing the Shepard Write-up.

1.  The ASN1-97 reference should be updated to the latest version.  I
currently have these as 11/2008.

2.  The root of the arc should be

      id-smime OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1) member-body(2)
                  us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs9(9) smime(16) }

(addition of a name for the last number in the list)

3.  In section 3.2, I am not sure that I understand what the description
field is supposed to indicate.  I expect this to be a descriptive field, and
thus not need the hyphens.  I would also expect that the table should
probably include the tag that is used for the field when it exists in an
ASN.1 file.  Thus it would be

0   Module Identifiers   mod  [This RFC]

4.  There is a naming philoshpy change that occurred part of the way through
our use of the arc  This means that the string id-mod-domsec does not appear
in RFC 3274, instead it simply uses domsec for the assigned name of the arc.
Should this document be using the same names as are in the actual ASN.1
modules or should we be using the new strings that do not appear in the
modules.

5.  Should we publish the current ASN.1 module as an informational appendix?
It might be useful for people to look at

Jim