Re: Max RCPT TO: - option to negotiate?

1998-04-02 12:27:27
Ned,

I noted the reference to Isode's PP (we do still call it PP, but for
marketing purposes it goes under the title "Internet/X.400 Message Switch".)

I hope you won't mind if I continue to refer to it as PP.

Of course not!!

Um, this demonstrates a misunderstanding of the benefits of pipelining. A
server that claims pipelining but _clients_ are the ones that take advantage
of
it. As such, it is beneficial to the community for a pipeline-clean server to
claim pipelining even if the client in the same software package doesn't take
advantage of it (yet).

Point taken.   We'll get this change made and the server will claim
pipelining in the next release.

And if you don't see the advantage, well, I would suggest that you do some
additional timing of SMTP behavior on high latency links. Pipelining often
makes a significant difference.

It will clearly make a big improvement on latency.  How much does your
experience suggest is helps on throughput?

Then you might want to consider enabling it on the version of PP that serves
isode.com. Both it and the half-dozen other PP servers I tested did not offer
ESMTP support.

Will do

                             Ned

Steve