Re: Submit Server Discovery extension

1999-03-11 23:24:03
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 19:16 -0700, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 00:51 -0700, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

I've missed deadline, so I am posting new draft to mailing lists.
Suggestions are welcome. Also it would be very interested to know
whether this feature will have support.

How does one determine the IP address (or hostname) of the first SMTP
server (which supports the SUBMIT service extension and tells you the
submit server you're supposed to use)?

Client should connect to standard (25) SMTP service port first. If server
supports Submit extension and is not submit server it will reference
client to the right location.

I don't see the value here.  Why would a client be configured with the
address of an SMTP server that is something _other_ than its submit
server?

If you do decide to go forward with the I-D, though, you certainly need
to add information on what a client is supposed to do if it can't
resolve the information provided in the SUBMIT response (such as
unknown URI or unresolvable DNS hostname).  Should the client ignore
the ever-so-gentle request to not use that SMTP server as its submit
server and just go ahead and use it anyway, or ?

-Dan Wing