Need clarification in SMTP RFC 2554

2001-06-26 06:35:51
Hi,

In RFC 2554 - SMTP service extension for authentication, in AUTH command
mentioned that "the client should send EHELO command after successful SASL
negotioation which results in the negotiation of a security layer."

Questions:
1. client should give EHLO if it wants extended SMTP service then server
    gives"250 - ..." as a reply after that client will give one auth mechanisam
    and conversatioin goes depending on authentication method.
    why client needs to give EHLO as first command after SASL negotiation?

2. If it supposed to give EHLO after successful SASL negotiation,
    How server differentiate whether that command is before SASL negotiatioin
    or after negotiation?

3. In authentication protocol exchange server chalenge, known as ready response
    is a 334 reply with the text part containing Base64 encoded string,
    Client answer consitsts Base64 encoded string.
    what this string?
    How client validate that string?

4. when exactly CRAM or some other auth mechanisam should start?

Thanks in advanse,
- Koteswara Rao
Ph: 040 6513274 Extn: 8842
JUNO online services Dev Pvt Ltd.
GPR building, Begumpet,
Hyderabad, India
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at
the closed door
that we do not see the one, which has opened for us. - Hellen Keller.