Strawman for LMTP Delivery Options Extension

2001-09-05 07:45:21

Chris,

Here is a strawman for the extension that we talked about.

Issues:

- Is advertising the available options a security problem that we should
avoid?

- Should we restrict the allowable flags chars to a smaller set (ie,
UALPHA, LALPHA, no specials)?

- ???

2.  Framework for the Delivery Options Extension

    The following service extension is hereby defined:

     (1) the name of the LMTP service extension is "Delivery Options";

     (2) the LHLO keyword value associated with this extension is
         "DELIVERYOPTS";

     (3) one optional parameter is allowed with this LHLO keyword value,
         a list of the single-character delivery options supported by
         the server.  The syntax of the parameter is as follows, using
         the augmented BNF notation of [RFC2822]:

             opts-param ::= [1*atext]

         If the parameter is omitted no information is conveyed about
         the server's supported delivery options;

     (4) one optional parameter using the keyword "OPTIONS" is added to
         the RCPT TO command.  The value associated with this parameter
         is a list of single-character delivery options to be used for
         the recipient.  The syntax of the value is as follows, using
         the augmented BNF notation of [RFC2822]:

             opts-value ::= 1*81atext

     (5) the maximum length of a RCPT TO command line is increased by 89
         characters by the possible addition of the OPTIONS keyword;

     (6) no additional LMTP verbs are defined by this extension.

6.2.2  Initial Options Registrations

    The following are to be added to the IANA registry for LMTP delivery
    options as the initial contents of the registry.

    Name: Quota override
    Option: q

    Name: ACL override
    Option: a

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127