Re: RFC2046 question/problem

2001-09-28 06:01:26
On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:43:51 BST, John Berthels said:

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful response. It has cleared up my
understanding significantly. I'll try and read more carefully in future.

Don't worry too much about it.  I don't think the IETF has *ever* produced
a totally clear and unambiguous standard (seems somebody whose native
language managed to find a small whoops in RFC2463 just this week - currently
being discussed on the mail IETF list).

I've personally been involved in a number of IETF working groups where my
participation has been limited to reading the drafts and asking myself "is
this comprehensible" and asking for re-writes if I couldn't follow it.  And
locally, a lot of the writing done in our CIRT for SANS gets passed by one
of our junior people who has only been a sysadmin for a few years - if it
doesn't make sense to her, we re-do it.

And if it makes you feel any better, that same point was the subject of MUCH
fighting during the working group. ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst