Re: ipv6-smtp-requirement comments?

2001-11-09 09:18:19

Various SMTP list folk,

Itojun has issued the following in response to various comments on his "ipv6-smtp-requirement" I-D that was about to be forwarded to the IESG for Informational RFC.

The ngtrans chairs would like to forward this new -04 draft (see url below) to the IESG, but wish to have any response to this you may have first.

Please forward comments to the ngtrans list (cc'd above) by next Friday, November 16.

Thanks,

Alain Durand / Bob Fink / Tony Hain
ngtrans chairs

======
        Hello, this is about draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv6-smtp-requirement.

        After getting comments from SMTP community (a couple of SMTP-related
        mailing lists), I have submitted a new revision of
        draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv6-smtp-requirement (now 04).   It should be in
        the internet-draft repository as soon as editors do their thing.
        Comments and actions taken are summrized below.
        The changes are minor, and I don't think it necessary to go through
        ngtrans last call again.

itojun

- English needs to be improved
        the document went through proofread by a native English speaker
        (JJ Behrens of NTT MCL).
- the SMTP sender algorithm should be clarified a bit
        tweaked it a bit, added reference to relevant IPv4-only RFC
        (RFC2821) to make it clearer
- need to talk about situations where IPv4-only sender tries to deliver
  an email to IPv6-only MX
        added a little bit of text.

===
This draft is a work item of the Next Generation Transition Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : IPv6 SMTP operational requirements
        Author(s)       : M. Nakamura, J. Hagino
        Filename        : draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv6-smtp-requirement-04.txt
        Pages           : 8
        Date            : 08-Nov-01

This document lists operational requirements for IPv6 SMTP and
IPv6-capable MX DNS records.  As IPv6 SMTP servers are deployed, it has
become apparent that certain configurations are necessary in
IPv6-capable MX DNS records for stable dual-stack (IPv4 and IPv6) SMTP
operation.  This document clarifies the problems that exist in the
transition period between IPv4 SMTP and IPv6 SMTP.  It also defines
operational requirements for stable IPv4/v6 SMTP operation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ngtrans-ipv6-smtp-requirement-04.txt

-end