Re: SMTP 551 code in use?

2003-03-24 10:32:01

Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu writes:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:02:26 +0100, Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> said:
when I (acting as SMTP client) send rcpt to and receive a 551 code from a server, it might be a good idea to use the referenced e-mail address instread of the one I used. Final decision left to the user, of course.

I'm not clear what you mean by "referenced address instead of the one I used"?

I used one address in the RCPT TO command. Another address is referenced by the 551 reply.

RFC2821, section 4.2.2:

      551 User not local; please try <forward-path>

Exactly. I don't see any formal grammar for the bit after 551.

RFC2821, section 3.5.2:
This seems to indicate that your parser should look for a regexp of the form "<lhs(_at_)rhs>", with possibly other text before or after.

Regexps smell bad, say I. ;)

I guess I'll look for "<" local-part "@" domain ">" and if I don't find exactly one occurence of that, or if I see loose @, < or > characters anywhere else, I'll bail out and pretend I received a 550.

Thanks.

--Arnt