Re: Getmail: A New Email Delivery Architecture to Control Spam

2004-06-01 17:31:46

Sigh.

This suffers from most of the problems associated with "solutions" like this one, which is that it requires that most of the email infrastructure needs to be replaced before it is effective. Otherwise, while it is easy to define the mechanism (see below), it is hard to imagine why the spammers (or many others) would use it.

To save you some trouble and research, this general strategy could be implemented by either of two existing mechanisms. One would be to just include a URL in the message body, rather than actual text. The other would be to take advantage of the MIME "external body" mechanism to send a reference to a body part, rather than the body part itself. Of course, to make it work, we would all have to start rejecting (or discarding) mail that contained anything other than external references or a very brief statement followed by a URL. That wouldn't be a hard test to make, but I can't imagine very many people doing it -- too many false positives for unwanted material, including your message and this response.

It is worth noting that some spammers, especially of the pornographic persuasion, use the URL method today, often with a subject line or introductory message line of the character of "hi. I'm Bambi and I have a brand new web cam, please click _here_ to see me and my friends doing exciting things". It doesn't seem to reduce the amount of spam very much.

Again, sigh.
   john