Re: Pipelining vs. multiple failure codes

2005-02-02 12:39:48

Yeah, I never saw an version of Outlook version pipeline an SMTP session.

The only "batching" I am seeing is from bulk spammers which ignore the
PIPELINING extension regardless.  But most will just drop the connection if
a negative response is provided at HELO simply because they don't seem to
understand a multi-line 220 greeting at the connection.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.
http://www.santronics.com
305-431-2846 Cell
305-248-3204 Office

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Stephenson" <jeffstep(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com>
To: "Tony Finch" <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>; "Richard Dawe"
<rdawe(_at_)messagelabs(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 1:28 PM
Subject: RE: Pipelining vs. multiple failure codes

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of Tony Finch
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:14 AM

(Outlook gets this grievously wrong and will uselessly report to users
"Valid RCPT command must precede DATA". Not advertising PIPELINING
doesn't
help because it pipelines anyway.)

Actually, Outlook *never* pipelines - if this happens, it's just a plain
bug.  What version of Outlook does this happen in?  I suspect you won't
find it happening in Outlook 2003.

-- jeff

Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development