Re: request discussion of two documents on SMTP relaying

2005-06-18 07:53:52

It is unfortunately common for email client software to silently fall back
to insecure submission if TLS or AUTH fail in any way

I use Macintosh Eudora (although the Windows version acts the same) where when
I request an SSL (ie: TLS) session I can designate the SSL as REQUIRED (as
opposed to Optional [ie: Use if offered in the ESMTP 220 message]).

I can see absolutely no justification for providing an "optional security"
feature (i.e. man-in-the-middle vulnerability). Most MUAs do it and they
are all stupid for doing so.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: WEST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. SHOWERS AT FIRST. MODERATE OR