Re: Strict RFC x821 Compliant: MAIL FROM:

2005-07-06 10:16:34

----- Original Message -----
From: "John C Klensin" <john+smtp(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>

If 2821bis is about "cleaning", removing ambiguity,
reaffirming consistency, etc, this would be one of them.

I think we disagree.  See above.

If there is one thing I am strongly opposed against is anything that is not
backward compatible.  So no, I am not suggesting a "requirement" for
anything.  Nonetheless, I think it is safe to say new considerations and
insights are needed.

Imagine the perspective of tomorrows developers writing a new SMTP server
simply because he doesn't like what he sees out there or just that he wants
to write one.

What does he/she have to know to best design the software? How to best
operate it?   Is the new 2821bis going to cover technical operational ideas
that are more current today?

What will you say about the space issue?

What will you say about the domain literal issue?

What will you say about the new authentication or authentication concepts?
or more so how they may alter SMTP considerations?

What will you say about the MAIL FROM spoofing issue?

Will you update section 7.1, in particular the last statement?

7.1 Mail Security and Spoofing
   This specification does not further address the authentication
    issues associated with SMTP other than to advocate that
    useful functionality not be disabled in the hope of providing
    some small margin of protection against an ignorant user who
    is trying to fake mail.

so on an so on.

http://www.santronics.com