Re: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-00.txt

2005-07-13 05:18:58

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Bruce Lilly wrote:

5. "TCP" really ought to be registered with IANA for use in the
   "via" Received field component (or dropped, since it wasn't
in    821).

Yes, someone should do that.  Do you think it can be just done,
or that we need to create a new "IANA considerations"
subsection? :-(

One issue is whether it should have been introduced at all, since
it had never been registered and was not in 821 or any of the
documents which amended 821.

It was introduced in 2821, but not registered.

Your draft states:

                    "Via" is primarily of value
                    ; with non-Internet transports.  SMTP servers
                    ; SHOULD NOT use unregistered names.

So as it stands, "TCP" SHOULD NOT be used, since it is
unregistered.

Actually in my view its supposed to be more like you MUST NOT use unregistered values and you SHOULD NOT use "via" for SMTP, but if
you do choose to use it for SMTP the convention is to use "TCP"
and it should be considered considered an optional value for via
for SMTP transport and so it should be registered.

I also see no problem with having via "TCP" value registration added to IANA section of this draft (with a note that what is registered is not
a new feature but value in common use for many years).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks