Re: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-00.txt structural and textual comments

2005-07-14 06:27:12

At 02:33 -0400 on 07/14/2005, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote about Re: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-00.txt structural and textual :

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:58:32 EDT, "Robert A. Rosenberg" said:

 being everything to the right of the @-sign). The Domain part has a
 host if there are more levels than the number defined for the WhoIs
 registration.

Are you sure that basing it off the whois is the proper referent for this?

Yes. I am defining "Domain" based on ownership and control of that level (and those to the left of it) in a FQDN. For TLDs ORG/NET/COM and other non-National TLDs this is at the 2nd level. IOW, Panix.Com is a Domain Name and all *.Panix.Com FQDNs are owned/controlled by the owner of Panix.Com (who can be determined from a WhoIs lookup). For national TLDs such as UK or AU, there are addition levels before you get to the ownership level (IOW: If Panix were registered as a UK Domain it would be Panix.CO.UK not just Panix.UK). What I was pointing out (or trying to say) is that a .COM domain name is 2 levels. If there was a 3-level .COM FQDN then the first (Left Most) level is a Hostname in the 2-level domain. Any 4 or longer .COM FQDN still has the first level as Hostname while all other levels to the left of the 2nd level are subdomains in that 2-level domain.