Re: After a 450, queue or try next MX?

2006-09-01 10:05:51

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

We eventually settled on an intermediate strategy. Temporary failures
before the MAIL FROM caiuse us to retry using the next MX, failures at
or after the MAIL FROM do not. We have found that this works pretty well
overall.

You are effectively making a distinction between errors related to the
destination host and errors relating to the particular message. Perhaps it
would be a further improvement to use enhanced status codes to identify
errors at or after MAIL FROM that also relate to the host rather than the
message.

According to the enhanced status code design, you should just be able to
check that the second digit is a 3, but unfortunately the design has not
been followed consistently. For instance, x.3.4 (message too big) is a
per-message error not a per-host error (it should probably be an x.6.z
code not an x.3.z code), and x.4.5 (mail system congested) is a per-host
error not a per-message error (it should be an x.3.z code).

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
FISHER: WEST OR NORTHWEST 4 OR 5 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. FAIR. MODERATE OR