Re: rfc2821bis-03 Issue 35: remove source routes from example D.3

2007-05-01 11:22:20

--On Tuesday, May 01, 2007 6:52 PM +0200 Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> wrote:

"foo.com, having received the message, verifies delivery to
 jones(_at_)xyz(_dot_)com is permissible and possible. foo.com now does
 a DNS lookup on xyz.com."

Actually it should verify jones(_at_)xyz at the time when it decides
to accept the mail, but at this time xyz is down, and so that's
not possible.  The verification business after it has accepted
the mail is pointless, it's too late, foo.com can only pray
that xyz.com eats its spam.

It seems to me that this is the key problem. Even if we (temporarily) ignore the constraints on what can go into 2821bis, the "backup MX" function -- a server that is not expected to receive mail for a particular domain unless the servers that normally support that domain are down or otherwise offline from the public network -- is an important, even if (one hopes) rarely-used, function. Unlike some other uses of MX records, that situation poses both a technical and an administrative/ economic problem. The first is essentially a race condition: no matter what measures are taken, if the relay (standby MX server) cannot establish connectivity to the server for the target domain in real-time, it has no possible way to know what addresses are valid there. The very best it can do is to guess on the basis of knowledge obtained while there was connectivity.

The administrative/economic one is that there are disincentives for the administrators of the relay machine and those of the target machine to try to keep up-to-date user lists on the relay machine. It requires more coordination and more resources than simply providing a backup MX function, and requires them on a regular and continuing basis, even when the target machine is almost always available. It also raises some privacy issues. In addition, we don't have any established / standardized way to transfer and store the needed information (one could imagine a DNS-like "poll for updates" protocol, but, at least to my knowledge we don't have one of those.

While there is less of it today than there was a decade ago, we also have a situation, especially with some rural areas and developing countries, where an MX record points to an always-online server that acts as a temporary repository or gateway to the distribution server for network that is only intermittently connected to the rest of the Internet (i.e., the link between the accessible server and the delivery server is only occasionally available and may not be accessible to the public Internet at all). The same issues arise as with the cases above: having accurate information on the relay about deliverable mailboxes is very problematic. Of course, similar or identical issues arise with various long-delay networking scenarios.

Speaking personally, and again temporarily ignoring the constraints on the 2821bis effort, I'd be much more sympathetic to this class of changes that are intended to restrict use of NDNs if there were some clear analysis, and possibly tools (the privacy issues aside), for dealing with these important cases. I'd also be more sympathetic if the proposals were a bit more nuanced. For example, to say that a relay should make reasonable best efforts (however those might or might not be defined) to verify the address before accepting the mail but, if it cannot, may go ahead and try to deliver it, dealing with the NDN case if necessary would seem much more plausible to me than trying to ban NDNs ... a ban that, if taken seriously, would take a large number of areas out of even email connectivity with the Internet.

       john