Re: "for" clause on Received: header field

2007-05-01 21:48:40

At 17:34 -0600 on 05/01/2007, Philip Guenther wrote about Re: "for" clause on Received: header field:

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
The above quote was mine. I fail to see where there is any massive disk space or bandwidth usage if implemented correctly. There HAS to be some ultimate SMTP Server that is delivering the message to the user's POP/IMAP Mailbox. How hard is it for THAT SMTP Server (if not the ones that is handing the message off it it) to put the for clause into the Received Header as it places the cloned copy of the message into the user's mailbox? The delivery SMTP Server MUST clone the message at that point anyway (and it takes no extra disk space or bandwidth for the INCOMING message).

"Black box" mail store that place each message in a separate file (such as Cyrus IMAP) usually use filesystem hardlinks such that there's only one copy of the message on disk for any number of recipients up to the max link-count. That space optimization obviously can't be used if the messages aren't exact duplicates.

I admit that for THAT implementation my method will not work. I was thinking more of the cases where each user had their own dedicated mailbox which was carved out of their private space allocation.