Re: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-04: VRFY and EXPN syntax

2007-07-15 12:24:18

At 10:17 15-07-2007, Peter J. Holzer wrote:

>        C: VRFY <smith(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
>        S: 250 smith <smith(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
>
>     or
>
>        C: VRFY smith(_at_)example(_dot_)com
>        S: 250 smith <smith(_at_)specific(_dot_)example(_dot_)com>

The last two would be a separate example, I think.

It could go after the second paragraph of Section 3.5.1.

  For the VRFY command, the string is a user name or a user name and
  domain and it MUST be in either of the following forms:

      User Name <local-part(_at_)domain>
      local-part(_at_)domain

If a normal (i.e., 250) response is returned, the response MAY include the full name of the user and MUST include the mailbox of the user. The following cases show a
  normal response:

        C: VRFY <smith(_at_)example(_dot_)com>
        S: 250 smith <smith(_at_)example(_dot_)com>

     or

        C: VRFY smith(_at_)example(_dot_)com
        S: 250 smith <smith(_at_)specific(_dot_)example(_dot_)com>

When a user name that is the argument to VRFY could identify more than one ...

> The before last example is for a user name and domain.  Although it
> is accepted by some implementations, and I believe, readily used, it
> does not fit the description for a string as a user name.

It falls under 'hosts MAY also choose to recognize other strings as
"user names"'. The last form is IMHO the only form which must be
supported:

I'm not so sure about that.  I suggested some text below to clarify that.

|  An implementation of the VRFY or EXPN commands MUST include at least
|  recognition of local mailboxes as "user names".  However, since
|  current Internet practice often results in a single host handling
|  mail for multiple domains, hosts, especially hosts that provide this
|  functionality, SHOULD accept the "local-part(_at_)domain" form as a "user
|  name";

So "local maiboxes" MUST be supported ans "local-part(_at_)domain" SHOULD be
supported. But how is a mailbox specified?

|  The standard mailbox naming convention is defined to be
|  "local-part(_at_)domain":

Seems a bit redundant to prescribe the same form both via MUST and
SHOULD.

How about:

   "User name" is a fuzzy term and has been used deliberately.  An
   implementation of the VRFY or EXPN commands MUST include at least
   recognition of local mailboxes as "user names".  However, since
   current Internet practice often results in a single host handling
   mail for multiple domains, hosts, especially hosts that provide this
   functionality, MUST accept the "local-part(_at_)domain" form as a "user
   name"; hosts MAY also choose to recognize other strings as "user
   names" or require the user name to be enclosed in pointed brackets.
Regards,
-sm