Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to Draft Standard

2007-12-30 16:50:10

Sorry, something between OE and the clipboard doesn't work as
I expect it when composing plain/text mails.  The final mail
has the subject "Spaces in quoted-strings".  While I'm at it:

Dots in a quoted-string as in ".do..ts."@example can be also
"interesting" when they meet a local-part macro in RFC 4408,
the SHOULD in 2821(bis) 4.1.2 is no nonsense.

| a host that expects to receive mail SHOULD avoid defining
| mailboxes where the Local-part requires (or uses) the
| Quoted-string form or where the Local-part is case-sensitive.
| For any purposes that require generating or comparing
| Local-parts (e.g., to specific mailbox names), all quoted
| forms MUST be treated as equivalent and the sending system
| SHOULD transmit the form that uses the minimum quoting
| possible.

The NetNews RFC replaced the latter SHOULD by a MUST for the
special case of Message-IDs.  And 2822upd-03 finishes it off
for the LHS of Message-IDs, I hope that -04 tackles the RHS.

 Frank